The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

14 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Nimble Yankee, Felix Newfield & Fraser Kirk, loved them when I was growing up(still am). Did'nt Nimble Yankee win the Pan Am or Miracle Mile as it was known then? I remember he was very much a sit sprinter and have a big finish.

Nimble Yankee won the Stars Travel Miracle mile in 1977. and Nigel Craig ran 5th in the race.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Nimble Yankee, Felix Newfield & Fraser Kirk, loved them when I was growing up(still am). Did'nt Nimble Yankee win the Pan Am or Miracle Mile as it was known then? I remember he was very much a sit sprinter and have a big finish.

Hey it's the Manaroa man again,!!! with your mate Nimble Yankee, one the Addington miracle mile after the Cup winner Stanley Rio dropped out with injury. Fraser driving him at Auckland.

DSC02639.JPG

• Thanks 1

I remember Felix use to get that left arm going on the running rail at Addington, certainly worked on a few , trust me. He was certainly a top horseman and would be willing to give advice when needed. Smart....he would sometimes hold up the start until he was ready...Felix, just the cat's whiskers as they would say.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

He was the nemesis of one of my faves Hanover Zip 🙂 

Aha Maria..Hanover Zip rattles something in my memory bank.

As you likely recall,was trained by Mike Stormont at Puke,(he gave me my one and only drive Rustic Lad)

In NZ,Hanover Zip won 9 of 102 and $96k.Late in his career,he became dual gaited,starting in 4 trot races.The immense speed he showed in this role at trials,was not seen on the racetrack,where 4 starts resulted in "Zip".

Then exported to Aust as 9yo,he raced on until 14yo..winning 30 more times from 184 starts & $170k🙂

Another example how Aussie Handicapping System allows horses to be placed competitively,and extend their racing careers before retirement.

Edited by Josias
add
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Im sure Nimble Yankee won a Wgtn Cup at Hutt Park. Correct me Robert if I am wrong. My memory is fading.

Hmmmm Globe..I can't see that Nimble Yankee ever started at Hutt Park.

The closest he made it to there,was a winning race at Nelson.😀

8 hours ago, Josias said:

Hmmmm Globe..I can't see that Nimble Yankee ever started at Hutt Park.

The closest he made it to there,was a winning race at Nelson.😀

You are probably right, I am probably thinking of another horse, which I cant put my finger on. After 60 yrs following them the memory banks overflow and get lost.lol

• Haha 1

The neat and nifty 'N' horses have seen the great stallion Noodlum, the trotters No Response, Nigel Craig, Noopy Kiosk and Now aslo get a nomination. with NimbleYankee, NightAllowance, Neroship, No DoctorNeeded, Nippon Home also getting involved.

Niatross , a famous American was known all around the world. Also one of his sons NIHILATOR was a superstar in the states finishing career with 35 Wins from 38 and was the first Standardbred to reach the $3 million prizemoney mark.

Not many in the 'O' section.?

Perhaps the 2 kiwi-bred Interdominion winners of OUR MAESTRO and this bloke in photo are the Best ???????

120 Interdominion Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

9 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

The neat and nifty 'N' horses have seen the great stallion Noodlum, the trotters No Response, Nigel Craig, Noopy Kiosk and Now aslo get a nomination. with NimbleYankee, NightAllowance, Neroship, No DoctorNeeded, Nippon Home also getting involved.

Niatross , a famous American was known all around the world. Also one of his sons NIHILATOR was a superstar in the states finishing career with 35 Wins from 38 and was the first Standardbred to reach the $3 million prizemoney mark.

Not many in the 'O' section.?

Perhaps the 2 kiwi-bred Interdominion winners of OUR MAESTRO and this bloke in photo are the Best ???????

120 Interdominion Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

Our Sir Lancelot

Here's one for Field Commander or Robert (or anyone ) to figure out.

Was nothing better than seeing Max Harvey win the Auckland Cup with Comedy Lad. Max did so much for trotting just like the amazing man Chris Garrard has done for harness racing in modern times. great to see Max with winners.

Here in photo , his high priced purchase has just won the Max Harvey Stakes, so Max was thrilled with his 1/2 brother to Locarno . went on to get a few wins and was also placed NZ Derby.

Who is this one ? 

DSC02640.JPG