The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

46 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

NIATROSS. You trying to be helpful here

Wins the gong for greatest 'N' horse I would think.

The famous photo below, is from one of only 2 defeats in his career. (he galloped once as well) 

The excuses put forward for the incident below were. No 2/ is my guess.

1/ Trainer/Driver Clint Galbraith said he just lost his footing on a slippery track.

2/ Niatross got a fright from being hit with a whip for the first time.

3/ A leader of the Niatross syndicate insisted he was drugged. He had actually been headed when this happened.

4/ Because he had been headed for the first time ever in his career , Niatross, sensing defeat, attempted suicide. lol....

DSC02637.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, Lightning Blue said:

Wins the gong for greatest 'N' horse I would think.

The famous photo below, is from one of only 2 defeats in his career. (he galloped once as well) 

The excuses put forward for the incident below were. No 2/ is my guess.

1/ Trainer/Driver Clint Galbraith said he just lost his footing on a slippery track.

2/ Niatross got a fright from being hit with a whip for the first time.

3/ A leader of the Niatross syndicate insisted he was drugged. He had actually been headed when this happened.

4/ Because he had been headed for the first time ever in his career , Niatross, sensing defeat, attempted suicide. lol....

DSC02637.JPG

That's an amazing photo

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Just reading up about Noodlum, what a sensational career.  Don't follow the harness these days, but has there been a better juvenile to race in NZ.  Christian Cullen??, Courage Under Fire??

Quite right Hesi. The best 2yr old I think we have ever seen , which carried on into his 3yr old year and curtailed by injury in his 4yr old year. He set so many records it beggars belief. What he could have achieved ?.

I remember the NZ Welcome Stakes . Lost 50 to 60 mtrs , ranged up wide on the turn and ran away for a 5 length victory. Superb horse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dancing Show said:

As we seem to have advanced to N's ..  I started thinking about chestnut harness horses or those trying to be chestnut's last night (there aren't that many of them sadly) - does anyone remember Night Allowance?

Yes, I do remember him Maria.

He started off in Southland with Bill Heads,and then went north to Roy+Barry Purdon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Double R said:

No horse whose name starts with the letter N, has won the New Zealand Trotting Cup.

Three more to add to the N list is: Nimble Yankee, Nippon Home, and No Response.

Nimble Yankee, Felix Newfield & Fraser Kirk, loved them when I was growing up(still am). Did'nt Nimble Yankee win the Pan Am or Miracle Mile as it was known then? I remember he was very much a sit sprinter and have a big finish.

I'm really enjoying this thread.

I should have joined in earlier.

These are some of my favourites maybe not complete champions but all good horses , as a youngin Mum & Dad took me to Forbury quite a lot.

B = Belmers Image ...................Remember it put on a rodeo act in one of the heats of 4yo championship , but I think still won final , Robert Cameron was airborne trying to get it under control ........remember seeing photo in ODT

F = Final Decision .................. unreal run in NZ Cuo  of 1975

L = Lunar Chance ................. My 1st ever real bet  in NZ Cup ............. $2 Win Dad put it on for me , that was it hooked since!

M = Master Musician ............ He was just a real trier ............. so unsound unfortunately as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, craigos1 said:

I'm really enjoying this thread.

I should have joined in earlier.

These are some of my favourites maybe not complete champions but all good horses , as a youngin Mum & Dad took me to Forbury quite a lot.

B = Belmers Image ...................Remember it put on a rodeo act in one of the heats of 4yo championship , but I think still won final , Robert Cameron was airborne trying to get it under control ........remember seeing photo in ODT

F = Final Decision .................. unreal run in NZ Cuo  of 1975

L = Lunar Chance ................. My 1st ever real bet  in NZ Cup ............. $2 Win Dad put it on for me , that was it hooked since!

M = Master Musician ............ He was just a real trier ............. so unsound unfortunately as well.

Hi Craig.

Keith Lawlor who drove Lunar Chance wasn't the worlds best driver, but the horse liked to be driven hard, and kept going.

• Like 1