The Race Place

Spring Super Draft Comp Results Thread

PWJ

1 minute ago, Maximus said:

big finish comin' up Howie!!

By the inherently suspect Mustelid Maths, the Maxis can still win with #7 In Good Health (Rob and Georgy Boy)

Great match!

MM

Yes indeed, Maxi  ...we two teams may be down the leaderboard somewhat, but we've both turned on an excellent match today.

Your team would deserve to pull back 2 games in the last on what you've done today, and to at least get a Team Profit bonus ...what's for sure is 'In Good Health' will look the winner at some stage in the straight.  

3 minutes ago, TooFast said:

Yes indeed, Maxi  ...we two teams may be down the leaderboard somewhat, but we've both turned on an excellent match today.

Your team would deserve to pull back 2 games in the last on what you've done today, and to at least get a Team Profit bonus ...what's for sure is 'In Good Health' will look the winner at some stage in the straight.  

for your team's chances of qualifying, you'd better hope we don't! A 5pt-er or two is all it takes in these last 7 rounds to charge up the leaderboard

Well done Blackbookers , too good and left us in your dust with a comprehensive performance .I was fortunate to stave off Dino who had an off day .Certainly will be a disappointed Team tonight with our worst performance yet, but plenty of points still to be had and next week ,who knows.!!.

Thnx again PJ.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Round 8 - Saturday Oct 10

Race 10 - Caulfield R10

1st - 9 Chapada W-$4.60 

2nd - 8 Zebrowski Q-$19.30  

Scr: 2,11

1 DAYLIGHT (1st)

$1162.20

0 points

4 NO EYE DEER (3rd)

$1364.20

4 points

No Eye Deer who had not led at any stage during the day pulled off a miracle win in the last when Ashoka's BB quinella saw him collar Ray and Porky nailed TC ! Stevie also found the Moroney winner as Daylight drew a blank. No Eye Deer also passed the team profit mark in the last for a bonus point while taking another for the 4-1 margin. Gordy was Man of the Match for the winners while John was Daylight MVP.

246.20 Ray 

321.20 Ashoka

260.20 Ian

428.00 Gordy

323.40 John

237.00 Stevie N

196.20 The Crucible

234.00 Porky

136.20 Pam

144.00 Jen

4 BLACKBOOKERS (2nd)

$1204.20

3 points

1 PUMPED (4th)

$525.20

0 points

The Blackbookers had it won before the last but ended the day with Midnight C (with a BB) and Dino on the Stackhouse stayer while Moose bagged a BB on his own for Pumped. The Blackbookers - for whom Midnight C was Man of the Match - bagged a bonus point for the 4-1 margin while Captain Rees was a modest MVP for Pumped. Well played today our team - fine effort !

371.20 Midnight C 

100.00 Ziggy

238.80 Richie

132.00 Moose

263.20 PJ 

95.00 Blind Squirrel

46.00 Dino

147.20 Rees

285.00 Maurice

51.00 Gary

4 TOO FAST (5th)

$1448.00

4 points

1 MAXISQUILLIONS (7th)

$1269.00

0 points

Too Fast had it won before the last but they were denied a 5-pointer when Rob bagged a BB on the Bullet Train winner to down buddy Gee. Too Fast took bonus points nevertheless for the 4-1 margin and a team profit. Rex, who got the final winner for Too Fast, was Man of the Match again while his unlucky opponent Max was MVP for the Maxis.

262.20 Geoff 

219.60 Graeme

456.80 Rex 

395.00 Max

272.00 Robert

201.20 Heather

168.00 Gee

231.00 Rob

289.00 Howie

222.20 Georgy Boy

3 SUPERIORS (8th)

$1407.20

3 points

2 REAPERS (6th)

$1327.40

1 point

In Good Health gave The Reapers plenty to get excited about in the run but faded in the straight so The Superiors held on to win but were denied a point for a 4-1 margin when Tom bagged a BB to get up to nail Mardy which also clinched a team profit for The Reapers earning them a consolation bonus point. The Superiors also claimed a team profit bonus point care of Steve who also snagged a BB in the last. Jack was an impressive Man of the Match for The Reapers while Pete, also with a good score, was Superiors' MVP. A narrow win for the cellar dwellers considering Punter Pete's margin over Roland !

323.60 Steve P 

21.00 Craig

255.00 Mardy

320.00 Tom

86.00 Sharne

523.20 Jack

306.80 Punter Pete

306.00 Roland

435.80 Pete

157.20 Hesi

Table after Round 8

1st 22 Daylight $9841.80

2nd 19 Blackbookers $9300.80

3rd 17 No Eye Deer $8867.20

4th 13 Too Fast $10,465.60

5th 13 Pumped $7713.40

------ Finals Qual Mark------------

6th 9 Superiors $8335.60

7th 8 Reapers $6766.00

8th 6 Maxisquillions $8723.20

Defeat for Daylight and a win for The Blackbookers saw Daylight's lead halved today while No Eye Deer's impressive last gasp win has given them a 4 point cushion over the next two sides. The Maxisquillions, Reapers and Pumped all suffered defeats today and each lost a place on the table while a win for Too Fast saw them gain a place while The Superiors gained two spots leaping up out of the cellar. A worrying 4 point gap has opened up between those in the qualifying slots and the chasers.....

STATS

Best Scores 
523.20 Jack
456.80 Rex
435.80 Pete
428.00 Gordy
395.00 Max

Worst Scores 

95.00 Blind Squirrel

86.00 Sharne

51.00 Gary

46.00 Dino

21.00 Craig

Most Wins

7 Midnight C

6 Maurice

6 Robert

6 John

6 Pete

6 Jack

Most Quinellas
2 Gordy

2 Rex

2 Maurice

2 Pete

Biggest Winning Margin 
523.20 Jack
86.00 Sharne

Narrowest Winning Margin
306.80 Punter Pete

306.00 Roland

Highest Losing Score
395.00 Max

Lowest Winning Score
144.00 Jen

ROUND 9 - Sat Oct 17

Meetings will be Hastings, Caulfield and Randwick

DAYLIGHT (1st) vs SUPERIORS (6th)

John v Steve P

Ian v Pete

Ray v Punter Pete

The Crucible v Mardy

Pam v Sharne

TOO FAST (4th) vs NO EYE DEER (3rd)

Geoff v Jen

Robert v Gordy

Rex v Porky

Howie v Ashoka

Gee v Stevie N

BLACKBOOKERS (2nd) vs MAXISQUILLIONS (8th)

Dino v Heather

Midnight C v Graeme

Richie v Max

PJ v Georgy Boy

Maurice v Rob

PUMPED (5th) vs REAPERS (7th)

Blind Squirrel v Jack

Moose v Craig

Rees v Roland

Gary v Hesi

Ziggy v Tom

Thanks for the match today Daylight, it’s fair to say the ledger was squared today, no doubt we’ll meet again 🤔

Congratulations No Eye Deer a much needed victory, a top 3 finish is crucial, another fine performance from our very in form Gordy, and Porky putting a stop to TC’s unbeaten record, Ashoka with a nice quinella in the last, ensuring a team profit bonus point, the battle of the ladies, Jen just nudging out Pam

John too good for me in our match, hard luck today you guys led everywhere bar the finish

Thanks Peter J another top class Saturday draws to a close 

Cheers

• Like 5

Top match, Too Fast ...and Too Good in the end. Congrats to you all and thanks for a fab contest. Our weeks and weeks of misfortune carry on BUT we can still turn it around, Maxis, if we can just get a few breaks when they matter most. Never give up!

Another fine performance from Sir G to lead the scoring -again. Well done, old son - Uareastar. as are you, PJ for all that work on our behalf once again.

MM

PS: Best of luck to Lady Heather with Countofmontecristo tonite at Kranji.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a contest that was .... 'Too Fast' v 'Maxisquillions'.

'Maxisquillions' in front from barrier-rise, and still in front after R7. Georgy Boy had won 5 of the first 6, Graeme in similar good form, and despite the ever-consistent trio Sir G, Robert and Geoff keeping the 'Too Fast' cash register humming, the 'Maxisquillions were looking good.

Then from the unlikeliest of sources up stepped that master strategist Rees of the 'Pumped' with this inspired motivational boost . "  'No Eye Deer' are being thumped .......... with 'Too Fast' struggling on 9 points. "
At that point and in response both 'Too Fast' and 'No Eye Deer' rose like phoenixes from the ashes - and the rest is history.

Well done, 'Too Fast' "teamies" Sir G, Robert, Geoff and Gee. We're keeping ourselves in the running for a play-offs berth, and a valuable 4 comp points today is a big boost towards that goal.

Hard luck, Maxi and the Squillions. You had control of this match for long periods, and were certainly deserving of a better result. I've got the feeling that when you get that winning feeling back you'll be winning them in a row. Better start soon, though.  😉

Many thanks PJ for another outstanding day of racing comp entertainment. You do such a great job running these comps. Unrivalled.

Projection for tomorrow : All Blacks 54 ; Australia 14. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, folks. 😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Nice finish Reapers and Tom to get us a point.  80 cents the difference between 1 point and 3 points.

Well done again Pete and the Superiors, just a bit too good for us today, were you thinking of that phone call during the week Pete, when you selected Mr Quickie:classic_rolleyes:

Thanks again PJ for running this fabulous comp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ashoka said:

mardigras,

Track success determines a thoroughbred trainer's standard of living. When said trainers stop trying to get horses into particular races with as light a weight as possible and, correspondingly, stop arguing with handicappers about a weight allocated or about to be allocated to their charges, then I might start to consider changing my mind on this subject.

Those same trainers may well not run a horse due to weight - however we will never know whether the horse would have won anyway. They make the same sort of decisions with respect to barriers.

However, trainers don't get to choose the weight their horse gets allocated - so they largely have to go with the cards they are dealt - or not run their horses. I'd love to see the day when a trainer gets to change the weight their horse has been allocated. At best they can attempt to get the rating of their horse altered. It happens so infrequently, I guess trainers aren't too concerned about that.

A punter on the other hand, their success is based solely on their ability to punt given the fields lining up. When I stop being successful or when it is demonstrated by someone how I can adjust the chance of a horse based on the weight being carried, then I might start to consider changing my mind on this subject. 

How about you give some insight into how I should consider weight when assessing chance. Use the example of the case above.

Given Star Of Bombay was in receipt of 10kgs from Deerfield, I priced Deerfield at 3.35 and Star Of Bombay at 2.14 (that was ignoring weight). How should I have adjusted those prices to reflect the 10kg weight difference. Can you explain the method I would use?

I'm quite happy for punters to share your view. It's the norm. And make no mistake, when I punt, I am punting against punters, not the bookies. The bookies are just representing the make up of the market based on the collection of punters.

What I also know to be the norm is that the vast majority of punters lose. I'd suggest that one of the reasons for that (although certainly not the only one), is that they share the same view as you.

I will add, there is the odd occasion when weight really does matter. It's when you are trying to get your horse into a race, and you don't get allocated enough weight to run. That's when it becomes important. Such as races like the Melbourne Cup and Caulfield Cup. If I had a 5yo horse able to run in those races, I'd rather get allocated 56kg than 52kg, that's for sure.

Edited by mardigras