The Race Place

Spring Super Draft Comp Results Thread

PWJ

9 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Congratulations Pete and the Superiors, we had the victory, literally till the last 20m of the comp.  Still probably would not have deserved to win, Aus was a disaster, stopped badly

New round next Sat, so still a long way to go

Thanks as always PJ

You're welcome. So back-to-back Jokers next week Alan ?

• Like 1

Gosh go out to the movies and come back and get a loss. Give the movies a miss nxt week. Lol. Nicely done Daylight, close but.

Great total Pam, kicked my butt , a truly formidable opponent. But we are still trucking nicely into the nxt round and 3 out of 4 Joker stoppers is not a bad effort, a good team and payoff spot beckons.

Could someone please explain how Robert picks 6 winners on 30 sec of study.???.

It was a sad movie by the way Richie. Called,  Hope Gap with Annette Benning and Bill Nighy. My wife liked it anyway.😍

• Like 3

Tremendous match today Maxis v Blackbookers and once again the result went the way of the oppo..so CONGRATS to PJ and Team on your fine victory. It's a fine line between pleasure and pain (cue The Divinyls).

Hard to get too sad about losing when the racing was fab on both sides of the Tasman; two Group 1s for Te Akau and some quality animals starting to appear on the Spring scene. (Got a couple marked down in my own little black book.) Max reckons the next month or so is the BEST time of the whole year for the gee gees.

So let's hope its a Comp of Two Halves, Maxis, and we make Squillions in Round 2 - from memory the Maxis did a Daylight in the first Round of the Autumn Comp, only to lose momentum when the crunch came. Plenty of time to make a dash at qualifying.

MM

PS: Note for Rex ...Mrs W wants to know why she only gets $19.10 back from her $20. I've tried to explain but it's tp hard, so I had to buy the Mateus Rose anyway, just to get some peace. Please do better next week - she's agreed to have another crack at it!

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 4

SERMON ON THE MOUND

This is Reverend Max from the pulpit at the Church of the Mustelidian Mind. On such a glorious spring Sunday (Hallelujah! praise the Lord), today's theme is HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL.

Let's take a look at  the old scoreboard from PJ's Autumn Super Duper Draft -contested over 14 qualifying rounds to decide who made the cut and who got the chop!

TABLE after ROUND 7

1st 23 Maximillions 

2nd 19 Five-Oh 

3rd 13 Hall of Fame 

4th 10 James Gang 

5th 10 Much Too Fast 

6th 10 Covid-Y  

7th 6 The Tigers 

8th 6 Roland's Roughnecks

TABLE after ROUND 14

36 Five-Oh (19+17)

35 Maximillions (23+12)

27 Much Too Fast (10+15)

25 James Gang (10+15)

..............................................finals qual mark

23 Covid-Y (10+13)

19 Hall of Fame (13+6)

17 Roland's Roughnecks (6+11)

14 The Tigers (6+8)

Where is the hope? I hear you struggling sinners-without-winners cry!

The hope, my friends, is the Lesson from History: with a runaway leader at halfway, your team only needs about 25 points sneak into the Finals.
And no-one wants to drink first from the poison chalice at Finals Fountain after 14 Rounds. Say No More!

So look at the stats. Do the math. Do the Business in Rounds 8-14 ... and the Glory of the Finals can be yours, brothers and sisters!

Here endeth the lesson. Now pass me that goblet, Vicar, the one with the red stuff in it.

MM

Edited by Maximus
  • Haha 1

and as if the HOPE above is not enough, remember DA NEW RULZ allow #5 to stay alive

At the conclusion of the second Round Robin section the top 5 teams will enter into a Finals Series which will be configured as below:

Round Match Name Team 1   Team 2
1 A Elimination Final Rank 4 v Rank 5
B Qualifying Final Rank 2 v Rank 3
2 C 1st Semi Final Loser B v Winner A
D 2nd Semi Final Rank 1 v Winner B
3 E Preliminary Final Loser D v Winner C
4 F Grand Final Winner D v Winner E

This is considered a good playoff system, as while it allows fifth place to take part, it is incredibly difficult for fourth and them to be crowned champions as they must beat every other team at some point.

• Like 2

Well done my good Blues mate Gordy ..... I couldn't match you yesterday, not at all .... so my congratulations and all the best to you and your 'No Eye Deer' for the remainder of the Comp.

My apologies to my 'Too Fast' teamies ... my $17 was pathetic and being in the 'Bottom 5' three times in the past five weeks tells the story. Just can't buy a trick. Great efforts by my "teamies" in particular Robert, Rex and Geoff are keeping us in the hunt. Thank goodness for well-performing "teamies". 

I'm looking forward to some good stuff this second half of the Comp.
Win or lose, there's no better entertainment on a Saturday than PJ Super Comp participation. Best game in town. 👍

• Like 5

3 of the remaining 7 rounds in the Round Robin are non-Saturday affairs so team members and especially captains will need to be particularly vigilant.

The first of these is the Geelong Cup day on Wednesday Oct 21 which will also feature a midweek Matamata meeting. We have our Melbourne Cup hope - the French-bred Skyward - aimed at the Geelong Cup in the hope that if we can win it we will make the Melbourne Cup field. Skyward has just 6 career starts but the son of Camelot has won 4 of them. So if he can make the MC field it will be just his 8th start !

Round 12 is a split round with Sale and Trentham on the Sunday, Ascot Park on the Monday and Te Aroha and Bendigo on the Wednesday.  Selections will be posted in two parts with a Sunday deadline for the first 5 races them a Wednesday deadline for the last 5.  Might make for some interesting strategies

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Round 12 is a split round with Sale and Trentham on the Sunday, Ascot Park on the Monday and Te Aroha and Bendigo on the Wednesday.  Selections will be posted in two parts with a Sunday deadline for the first 5 races them a Wednesday deadline for the last 5.  Might make for some interesting strategies

I should add that there will be a special sub-rule for this round that will require the player posting last to have at least 4 different selections from their opponent, from their 10 selections in the final 5 races (part 2). The reason for this is obvious.

24 minutes ago, Say No More said:

92 points earned in total in Round 1 which is relatively low - usually around 95-100 points.  Reflects some pretty lean pickings from Jokers - four teams earned nothing and the other four teams earned 2 points (doubled to 4).

and the 'spread' between 1st and 5th is the same in both Comps (13pts). Suggesting that if you're not within 13 of the runaway leader now (Reapers, Maxis and Superiors) you'll need to be not only consistent points scorers in the 2nd 'arf but effect a big Joker play. Interesting times ahead.

Edited by Maximus

I thought it was interesting that the two races yesterday that had "nailed-on" quinellas - The Flight and The Premiere (comp races 6 & 7) both saw winners come from outside the hot pair in the betting in each race. I am sure some were privately muttering to themselves - "why has PJ included those races which won't change the scoreboard barely at all ?" and them Montfilia and Libertini pop up !

13 minutes ago, PWJ said:

I thought it was interesting that the two races yesterday that had "nailed-on" quinellas - The Flight and The Premiere (Comp races 6 & 7) both saw winners come from outside the hot pair in the betting in each race. I am sure some were privately muttering to themselves - "why has PJ included those races which won't change the scoreboard barely at all ?" and them Montfilia and Libertini pop up !

yes PJ ... and in both cases poor Max, swimming against the hotpot tide, picked something to beat them and picked the wrong one. 8 of the 10 in Maxis v BlackBookers match selected 1,2 in the Randwick sprint

Edited by Maximus

1 hour ago, Globederby19 said:

Not to mention the poor Captains scurrying around like headless chooks.:classic_tongue:

We Mustelids like the idea of headless chooks...the ones from Farmer Brown's farm are great served with roast veges 'n gravy

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

I thought it was interesting that the two races yesterday that had "nailed-on" quinellas - The Flight and The Premiere (comp races 6 & 7) both saw winners come from outside the hot pair in the betting in each race. I am sure some were privately muttering to themselves - "why has PJ included those races which won't change the scoreboard barely at all ?" and them Montfilia and Libertini pop up !

It was sad when Winx retired, however there was a small part of me that was 😊

• Like 1

Montfilia and Libertini my only 2 winners on the day. I only took them after seeing Howie’s picks and not wanting the exact same picks 3 races in a row.

Sorry Howie, if you had waited another 30 minutes before posting your $17.00 would have won the day.

• Haha 1

Good effort team on getting the win yesterday,lets hope we get some momentum from now on. Just a heads up to my skipper. In around 3 weeks-ish i will be a dad(for the first time,at age 44) so i will try and endeavour to still post my tips,and if worse comes to worse i may post them early..or as time allows.But just wanted to give a heads up incase i go off the 'radar' so to speak.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Good effort team on getting the win yesterday,lets hope we get some momentum from now on. Just a heads up to my skipper. In around 3 weeks-ish i will be a dad(for the first time,at age 44) so i will try and endeavour to still post my tips,and if worse comes to worse i may post them early..or as time allows.But just wanted to give a heads up incase i go off the 'radar' so to speak.

No worries Mardy.

Congratulations!

• Like 1

Thanks Pete,time certainly is flying and he will be here before we know it. And the arrival is probably why i won't be running the cup week comp this year that i've done the last few years,fair to say i'll be busy doing nappies etc so probably won't have time for it,very exciting times coming up for sure.

• Like 3

thanks for that SNM, 8OO10CDC (!) is one of the funniest shows going round, Joe Wilkinson is a scream.
Here's a clip I find rather special from Two and A Half Men; April Bowlby in the role of Kandi, who is adorably 'thick' and in this clip is rehearsing for a TV audition

Edited by Maximus

On 10/4/2020 at 6:53 PM, Mardy said:

Advance best wishes for your pending arrival.

Look Mardy, posting early is as good as any, as you would have seen last week with my 6 wins, and 4 seconds from the 10 races. This week, who knows, maybe zero.

Cheers.

Robert.