The Race Place

Melbourne Spring 2020

mardigras

10 hours ago, mardigras said:

Barring a horse issue (or a feed based decision), this certainly looks the case. Into $5.50 NZ TAB now. As would be expected (to me). 

His win in a very slowly-run Foy was his first since the Epsom Derby and he's been made to look pretty ordinary at European Group 1 level.

You'd also think on the balance of his form the quicker the ground the better - he ran well at Santa Anita on firm ground and didn't go badly behind MAGICAL in the 2019 Irish Champion.

43 minutes ago, Stodge said:

His win in a very slowly-run Foy was his first since the Epsom Derby and he's been made to look pretty ordinary at European Group 1 level.

You'd also think on the balance of his form the quicker the ground the better - he ran well at Santa Anita on firm ground and didn't go badly behind MAGICAL in the 2019 Irish Champion.

Ordinary by UK standards. Oz staying G1 is about UK listed/G3 standard. If he runs even close to his Coronation Cup run, I doubt there would be anything that could beat him in OZ.

Edited by mardigras

On 9/9/2020 at 8:26 PM, mardigras said:

Here's me at the moment - but may change once the Aidan O'Brien travelers are known.

Caulfield Cup

Mirage Dancer 51
Miss Siska 101
Toffee Tongue 51
Port Guillaume 21/Delphi 21 (40s available)
Finche if those two above are not in

The last two foreigners may not come over/make the field. Delphi got a very low weight for a G3 and Listed winner compared to many above.

On 9/9/2020 at 12:02 PM, VC! said:

Caulfield Cup

1) Quick Thinker 50-1

2) Master of Wine 17-1

3) Shared Ambition 30-1

4) Finche 20-1

5) The Chosen One 150-1

I still quite fancy Mirage Dancer. Now at 17-22s depending where you go.

And Toffee Tongue - at 14-16s. My two Euro's not in it, and Finch is one of the favs.

VC still has Master Of Wine, at around 8-9s, Finch around 12s and The Chosen One around 80-100s.

If the rain arrives, i still like Mirage Dance. Wouldn't surprise me to see Avilius run well.

And Dashing Willoughby is what I will be looking at now given the odds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

I still quite fancy Mirage Dancer. Now at 17-22s depending where you go.

And Toffee Tongue - at 14-16s. My two Euro's not in it, and Finch is one of the favs.

VC still has Master Of Wine, at around 8-9s, Finch around 12s and The Chosen One around 80-100s.

If the rain arrives, i still like Mirage Dance. Wouldn't surprise me to see Avilius run well.

And Dashing Willoughby is what I will be looking at now given the odds.

I think Mirage Dancer is still value at 20+ last year he was my on top selection, 

Buckhurst I picked him out 18 months ago for this carnival, and here he is, he doesn’t represent much value at his current quote

Anthony van Dyck the class horse of the race, a win over Stradivarius is “A” grade form line, however he will want a dry surface imo 

VE will hope it rains all day no value whatsoever at her current quote, but a definite winning chance, only enhanced by the rain

Finche he’s primed just lacks that turn of foot still a winning chance

Master of Wine it’s now or never 2400 is in the go zone distance for him has been well backed

Toffee Tongue must also be a big chance

True Self over the odds will appreciate the rain

All and all a tough race

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brown fox said:

Good luck with whatever you back.I reckon you could pick 8 horses and still miss out

I'm giving the Quaddie a big swerve🥺

now listen here Foxy One, cap'n Max expects much more confidence from you on this easy-peasy race..send me your top 2 selections inside the next 16hrs please

• Haha 1

Looking at the rain radar, it's raining at Caulfield. They are expecting a fair amount. Some will say it favours Verry Elleegant. Also may bring roughies like Mustajeer and Raheen House into more focus (from very rough prices), especially if they get up around the 25mm some are forecasting. Avilius might like it - a number of well supported may not.

Edited by mardigras

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

Looking at the rain radar, it's raining at Caulfield. They are expecting a fair amount.  Raheen House into more focus (from very rough prices), especially if they get up around the 25mm some are forecasting. 

I actually backed Raheen House yesterday @ $51 to run top three, I don’t usually back for the place but 50-1 to run top 3 got me interested, he requires a scratching to get in the field, Verry Ellegant should lap up the track conditions and is unbeaten at 2400

7 minutes ago, VC! said:

I actually backed Raheen House yesterday @ $51 to run top three, I don’t usually back for the place but 50-1 to run top 3 got me interested, he requires a scratching to get in the field, Verry Ellegant should lap up the track conditions and is unbeaten at 2400

He's already in. Aktau is lame and scratched.

2 hours ago, mardigras said:

Looking at the rain radar, it's raining at Caulfield. They are expecting a fair amount. Some will say it favours Verry Elleegant. Also may bring roughies like Mustajeer and Raheen House into more focus (from very rough prices), especially if they get up around the 25mm some are forecasting. Avilius might like it - a number of well supported may not.

Mardi, Especially in Group races like the Caulfield  Cup tomorrow, how much do you take into consideration  the track conditions (or possible change)?

10 hours ago, Midnight Caller said:

Mardi, Especially in Group races like the Caulfield  Cup tomorrow, how much do you take into consideration  the track conditions (or possible change)?

It just changes confidence in my assessment of their ability to perform to their best. But I expect it will change the available prices.

That confidence then relates to whether I will bet on the runner as well. I have rated Raheen House well below the 200s available. But I'm not as confident he can perform to his actual ability on very hard ground, which they can get at Caulfield. If I was going to back him, then I would do it early if my confidence increased to a higher level. The punters change the prices more than I think the condition change affects their chance.

It's a bit like the barrier draw. Anthony Van Dyck was late 4s/5s before the draw. Then 7s/8s after. That price change due to barrier is insane to me. And Warning was being backed at 17s pre draw - initially went out to high 20s with some and was trading in the early 30s on betfair!

For AVD, that's like suggesting he was a 20% chance before and the barrier reduced his chances by 40% down to 12%. And if the rain has been reasonably high, the punters will go off him even more. I have him in my top two % chances. My confidence with him slightly reduces in the wet as his absolute best runs have been on good ground. But I may still back him if he gets out anywhere near 10s.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mardigras said:

Now that was a race!

And Anthony Van Dyck was huge - take nothing away from Verry Elleegant though. And The Chosen One was very good also.

Yes, I thought Bowman did his best with the hand he was dealt on ANTHONY VAN DYCK. He must have forfeited so much ground and he was widest into the straight. I'm not sure the slower turf would have helped and he ran a blinder trying to give the winner 8 lbs.

I thought PRINCE OF ARRAN ran a huge MC trial. Out the back but came home really well - he'll always be vulnerable to one with more tactical speed but he's got real place prospects if the barrier draw is kind. I believe FINCHE is another who would prefer better ground.

The likes of BUCKHURST, TRUE SELF and DASHING WILLOUGHBY might as well get on the plane home now. 

I thought this was funny.

15th: 3. Vow And Declare ($41) - Damien Oliver

"He's just not quickening now. He's very one-paced. I think we have to ride him a bit more forward to see if he can keep grinding away that way, because he's just not showing any change of speed."

I've not seen him show any change of speed. He probably wants to sit handy and hope for a slow run race like last year.