The Race Place

New Comp - 5 to Win

PWJ

Starting Sat Nov 21 will be a new comp with a completely different format. Named FIVE TO WIN, it will be an individual comp which will run for 5 weeks (to Sat Dec 19). Mostly Saturday but I may throw in the odd mid-week fixture. It is very simple:

1. For each day of competition I will choose a meeting - some will be in NZ, some in Australia.

2. You will be required to make 5 selections of your choice each day, no more, no less. All selections must be made before the start of the first race on the program irrespective of whether you have a bet in that race. You may choose whatever races you like for your 5 selections but with the proviso of only one horse per any given race.

3. Your first selection of the day will carry an imaginary $10/place investment. If successful, the return from this bet will carry over (the full dollar amount) to your second selection and so on. The aim is to get all 5 place selections in the money. If any miss, your only return from the day will be your loose change (cents not re-invested).

4. If you manage to get all 5 selections placed then your daily total will be banked towards your overall score (as will your cents if you miss). The player with the most $$ at the close of racing on Dec 19 wins. Sounds easy ?

5. Scratching Rule. You may replace scratchings up until 5 mins before the first race on the card at the stipulated meeting. Replace in a new post. Do not edit your original selections. If you don't replace a scratching then your entry will be invalid for that meeting. If you suffer a late scratching then your investment will go on the NZ TAB fave.

Examples:

Jimmy

Race 1 - $10 invested

#1 Zakunda - 2nd - $1.80/place

Return - $18.00

Race 3 - $18 invested

#6 Ceddy Smith - 1st - $2.10/place

Return - $37.80

Race 6 - $37 invested (80 cents into kitty)

#4 Wekaforce - 1st - $1.40/place

Return - $51.80

Race 8 - $51 invested (another 80 cents into kitty)

#3 Bourbonaire - 2nd - $2.50/place

Return $127.50

Race 10 - $127 invested (50 cents into kitty)

#8 The Good Fight - 3rd - $1.80/place

Return $228.60

kitty cents added in gives a Final Daily Total of $230.70

Harry

Race 1 - $10 invested

#1 Zakunda - 2nd - $1.80/place

Return - $18.00

Race 3 - $18 invested

#6 Ceddy Smith - 1st - $2.10/place

Return - $37.80

Race 6 - $37 invested (80 cents into kitty)

#4 Wekaforce - 1st - $1.40/place

Return - $51.80

Race 8 - $51 invested (another 80 cents into kitty)

#3 Bourbonaire - 2nd - $2.50/place

Return $127.50

Race 10 - $127 invested (50 cents into kitty)

#15 Vainglory - unplaced

Return nil

Final Daily Total of $2.10

Sally

Race 6 - $10 invested

#8 Puysegur - unplaced

Return - $0 - Final Daily Total $0

If you have any questions or queries please ask now so we can iron them out. This comp is basically a copy of a little illegal betting game that used to operate in the Manawatu in the mid-1970s which was run by an ex-jumps jockey Dave Findlay who was the Kiwi Bacon and Ham delivery driver for the region. Does anyone remember Dave ?

It looks an easier contest than it actually is....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• PWJ pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Say No More said:

Ain't that the truth.  I recall a comp a while back where you had to select a three horse all-up place bet - the strike-rate was very low.

Even if you pick five horses paying $1.20 to place, your chances of getting all 5 home is less than 20%.

That said, it looks like a fun comp - I'm in.

Same thing when I ran the Last Person Standing comps. 2 horses per race and only need to get a 4th placing or better to stay in. Amazing how difficult it proved.

I might run one on one of the big days in the summer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maximus said:

Max is in, sounds like a lotta fun, PJ. The Foxy One will be good at this cos he's having some success on Place 6 multis.

MM

Unfortunately I can have more than 1 in some races Max.Having my 2 N.Z. Pick6  bets on the weekend scuppered by 2 $2 shots(Endless Drama/Need I say more)

show just how tricky they can be Looking forward to the challenge tho😁

On 11/10/2020 at 7:12 PM, Gazzac said:

Could be fun so I'll try....can we nominate a sub in case of scratchings?? Often I cant get a replacement done due to grandy's sport etc

Gary, I can allow for one substitute to be named if there is a scratching among the 5 selected.

• Like 1

going away for ten days fishing mate...I find it hard enough normally PJ... so I better sit this one out.

Having said that. I would have cleaned up last week @ Riccarton ...(mint julip, plushenko, cornflower blue, lincoln king and beaudz well)

Had a cracker of a day personally.

1 hour ago, Porky said:

going away for ten days fishing mate...I find it hard enough normally PJ... so I better sit this one out.

Having said that. I would have cleaned up last week @ Riccarton ...(mint julip, plushenko, cornflower blue, lincoln king and beaudz well)

Had a cracker of a day personally.

There is no "entry" needed so join in when you get back Porky

• Like 1