The Race Place

All things Covid and Political discussion .........Be Kind

Midnight Caller

21 hours ago, mardigras said:

Yes, but I'm largely referring to the strategy around exiting lockdowns and border controls. Even if they continue with those other aspects, they have often said that if you want life to return to some form of normality, get vaccinated.

They won't acknowledge it, but it has been pretty clear the strategy is, play for time, to get the vaccination rates as high as they can, before opening up.  

42 minutes ago, Hesi said:

They won't acknowledge it, but it has been pretty clear the strategy is, play for time, to get the vaccination rates as high as they can, before opening up.  

I agree whilst at the same time, I disagree. They don't know what the specifics are around what they are trying to achieve. So play for time, but no specific as to when time is up. It's the same reason they haven't been able to state what will take an area from red to orange or from orange to green.  They don't trust the vaccination strategy and are wanting to hold off on clear rules.

I agree they are doing what you are saying and I disagree with the aproach.

It's why they aren't business people. If I employed you and said to you that I am going to give you a bonus of $200k when you achieve something. You ask what is it that you need to achieve. I say I'll let you know when you get there. There's no driver for people to do what they want, since the achievement of getting there is unknown.

Edited by mardigras

3 hours ago, mardigras said:

It's why they aren't business people. If I employed you and said to you that I am going to give you a bonus of $200k when you achieve something. You ask what is it that you need to achieve. I say I'll let you know when you get there. There's no driver for people to do what they want, since the achievement of getting there is unknown.

Edited 2 hours ago by mardigras

No they are not business people , yet they run our country. Serial politicians , with most not a clue on owning or running a profitable business. I said most, as I am sure in amongst the dross there is some gold.

I maybe on a different page to some on here regarding some issues, but I remember a Quote that said "most politicians rise to the level of their own incompetence". Unquote.

And yes Hesi, I admit that National are not a threat as yet to your beloved Labour. In fact being apolitical, I don't see to much hope for the country I grew up in, apart from the Pandemic?, The moral and social structure of this lovely country is slowly disintegrating before our eyes. Maybe Im just a cynic at heart, or lived long enough to see too much injustice .

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

No they are not business people , yet they run our country. Serial politicians , with most not a clue on owning or running a profitable business. I said most, as I am sure in amongst the dross there is some gold.

I maybe on a different page to some on here regarding some issues, but I remember a Quote that said "most politicians rise to the level of their own incompetence". Unquote.

And yes Hesi, I admit that National are not a threat as yet to your beloved Labour. In fact being apolitical, I don't see to much hope for the country I grew up in, apart from the Pandemic?, The moral and social structure of this lovely country is slowly disintegrating before our eyes. Maybe Im just a cynic at heart, or lived long enough to see too much injustice .

Try America then, we are wonderful by comparison, but the huge gaps that are opening between the haves and have nots are a concern

You may be surprised to know, that I supported the Nats for most of my adult life

4 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

(A step too far here Rees. Take this as a friendly reminder to stay away from this particular allusion)

Pete

C,mon Pete. Tongue in cheek stuff. Everyone has lost their sense of humour on here. Apart from Barry with his "fuckwit" comments. I will go back to the Harness forums. Bye Bye

12 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

C,mon Pete. Tongue in cheek stuff. Everyone has lost their sense of humour on here. Apart from Barry with his "fuckwit" comments. I will go back to the Harness forums. Bye Bye

You managed to upset the other owner of the site. 

6 hours ago, Hesi said:

Stop talking shit and put up a selfie with the 'sonic the hedgehog' look

Ok, Allen, fairs fair. I do not have any animosity in my bones despite the borax being poked, so apology's for the poor choice of political analogy. 

16 hours ago, barryb said:

Stiff upper lip and move on Globe,

Mate I have been criticized by experts. There is only one subject that I will spit the dummy over. 

I shall join my cheating weirdos . Eh Mardy, Robert, Craig, Rex, Happy, Rusty, Lightning, Karrots, and company. Nice bunch of people. 

This discussion seems to have caused a bit of a stir (on another thread). I'm not sure what it really matters to non vaccinated who is vaccinated and vice versa.

I do tend to agree with barry in respect of wondering what the reasons are behind non vaccination (as well as the reasons behind vaccination).

I would say the chances of some unknown effects from the virus causing mayhem down the track are at about the same chance the All Blacks have of winning last weekends game. I think I'm a reasonable judge of character, I've had one on one conversations with Bill Gates and the theories relating to him would would have about the same chance.

As for putting something experimental into my body, vaccines are by their nature experimental - hence trials. Many people put things in their bodies without any clue what the product contains. Drugs/alcohol/processed foods/ nearly everything you buy that you eat/drink. Secret herbs and spices in KFC - just wait until the ill effects of that become known,  - oh, shit, they already have. Look at obesity/diabetes levels in the populations where KFC operate. 🙂 

But I didn't get the vaccine because of the science of protection/efficacy - I got it because I don't believe it will have a negative impact on me (in my situation/health etc), and the writing was on the wall that governments would change people's access to things depending on your vaccination status. I also got it in the hope that there was a chip in it that could track everything I did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I watched a video from a guy talking about a series of assumptions, that if any were untrue, meant that people were being unnecessarily subjected to various restrictions (lockdowns, vaccine mandates etc). And that everyone has been conned.

Well, probably because I'm a little bit thick, I didn't think any of the assumptions were of any more importance than equally the choice of a person getting vaccinated or not. I'd quite happily believe that none of the assumptions were true, equally a lot of what is presented in the media, I dispute as being true as well.

The assumptions were to do with things such as isolating the virus, causal impact of the virus and other technical aspects of the 'it' that is being referred to.

I for one don't think it is is important whether the virus exists, whether it can be isolated, whether it is causal (to death).

Whatever 'it' is, I'd suggest 'it' is contributing. And as a catalyst, possibly quite a high level of contributing. Removing it, won't stop the death (everyone dies), it may just advance it.

The problem with trying to be an all or nothing approach is that if any of the assumptions are untrue, does that mean that there has been no need to undertake any of the measures some countries have taken. That's the kind of 'fear' this video is trying to get across. That if any of the assumptions are untrue, you should stand up and reject everything being done.

Quite simply, for all his supposed analytical skill, that is a very odd statement. Turning it into a true/false situation suggests that what 'it' is, doesn't require any form of intervention. No wonder he ended with the view that we should let God defend us.

Apart from that, the video was somewhat informative covering aspects of things I have never ventured into before. It is standard fare for those against the restrictive measures. They attempt themselves to correlate certain things with true/false - but the true/false is not causal to the steps being taken.

An extract from an interesting article out of Japan

Three months ago, Japan was recording more than 25,000 cases of COVID-19 every day - but now, in late November, the country of 125 million people has fewer active cases than New Zealand

The stunning turnaround in fortunes has baffled scientists, but a new theory has emerged which raises hope the pandemic worldwide might eventually wane on its own.

Ituro Inoue, a professor at the National Institute of Genetics, said this week his team's research has found the Delta variant behind the massive surge of cases mutated in a way that led to its "self-destruction".

"We were literally shocked to see the findings," he told The Japan Times. "The Delta variant in Japan was highly transmissible and keeping other variants out. But as the mutations piled up, we believe it eventually became a faulty virus and it was unable to make copies of itself. 

"Considering that the cases haven’t been increasing, we think that at some point during such mutations it headed straight toward its natural extinction."

Every time a virus replicates, there's a chance the genetic code of the copies is different to their parent - this is how viruses evolve. Some mutations are beneficial, such as those which increase a virus' ability to infect new hosts. Others are detrimental. 

• Like 2

Yes saw that, interesting and worth following.  

You don't want to look at the situation in Romania, 37% vax rate, near catastrophic, a person dying every 5 minutes.

Perhaps they should load up all the Brian Tamaki's of the world, onto a plane and take them to Romania for a few days