The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

On 3/27/2020 at 3:45 PM, Maximus said:

Not as much fun as a PJ Comp but I'll pick: 63,650 cases/ 3,050 more dead

Good effort there Maximus - not that it's necessarily a good thing. We had 65108 new cases in the 24 hours and 3281 deaths. 

I was expecting a bigger increase from the USA in cases

On 3/27/2020 at 3:56 PM, mardigras said:

I'll go 70k cases, 3100 deceased from now for 24 hours. Current totals 532,150 & 24,084

Whichever way toy look at it, the trends are continuing and will do for a while I expect.

Edited by mardigras

18 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

Hard to believe that Lotto is unable to be purchased except online.

Supermarkets allow people to touch fruit,packets of meat and just about anything else in the shop but you can't by a Lotto Ticket.

Oh well money well saved.

I guess it comes down to minimising the interactions. Food being essential even though it has risks. 

• Like 1

I see more sensationalist headlines splattered across the Herald this morning

200,000 will die in the USA

Now as a headline, that is scary stuff, and a lot of people, but putting it in perspective to other stats, it is

0.06 % of the population or 0.6 in 1000

One fifteen of the number of people who die annually 

One third of the people who die annually from cancer

One third of the people who die annually from heart disease

13 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I see more sensationalist headlines splattered across the Herald this morning

200,000 will die in the USA

Now as a headline, that is scary stuff, and a lot of people, but putting it in perspective to other stats, it is

0.06 % of the population or 0.6 in 1000

One fifteen of the number of people who die annually 

One third of the people who die annually from cancer

One third of the people who die annually from heart disease

Although deaths from the flu each year in the USA is typically around the 40k mark +/- 20k. So stats wise - is 3 to 10 times the number of flu deaths each year.

Yes, it should be kept in mind of the overall situation but at this point, we have no idea as to how things might pan out. The estimated mortality rate of covid-19 is likely to be 4+ times the mortality rate of the flu - and some would say as much as 10+ times that of the flu. 

The issue for NZ is that during our flu season, hospitalisations can be at high levels. If the flu causes high occupancy, where do the rest go? Or if this causes high occupancy, where do the flu patients go? 

Yes, no doubt some scaremongering - but also, a fair amount of complacency.

• Like 2

Hesi, old son, I fear you have got it in for Granny Herald and their 'sensationalist' headlines. It's not just the est200,000 direct deaths from Covid-19 that's the problem ... it's the impact on the health system - when so many of your doctors and nurses are infected who runs the hospitals, mate? How many unnecessary deaths will there be from other serious respiratory illnesses that cant be effectively treated cos the resources normally there arent there to deal with them? It's called OVERLOAD.

Here's my 'beef': the police pussyfooting around last weekend when there's a crowded beach in Wellington ...

Wellington's Oriental Bay was crowded on Sunday afternoon on day-four of the coronavirus lockdown, and it has prompted a stern response from the government.

"It did surprise me how many people were out and about and I observed a number of people who weren't keeping their social distance," Police Commissioner Mike Bush said on Monday.

The Police Commissioner drove past Oriental Bay on Sunday, and said he wasn't impressed, so is now eyeing up greater enforcement by police.

"If people aren't complying we're going to have to revisit this." 

Come on Cmdr Bush, if they wont lock down, LOCK EM UP!

MM

Edited by Maximus

Buried in the story we find this. Why not have this as the headline instead of the doom and gloom?

But he said, for now, New Zealand was well placed to stamp out Covid-19 through a strategy of elimination.

"We are in a situation where we really have adopted the best strategy… very few countries have been able to do that."

Great to see the owners of the Herald,NZME,close down Radio Sports indefinitely.

A very tiresome station to listen to where there was always some host trying to create a story out of nothing.Some of these hosts will now have to find real jobs.

Only guy i liked on there was Jim Quays.No yelling or going nuts just sensible commemts.

The other thing i will miss is being able to tune into Fox Sports for the NFL comments.

Some GOOD NEWS, but it is behind the piss useless Herald's paywall(the sensationalist stuff doesn't appear to be though???!!), so I picked up the article elsewhere(Irish Times)

J&J and Abbott announce potential coronavirus vaccine and rapid test

US healthcare groups bring hope in race to fight Covid-19 pandemic

about 7 hours ago
Hannah Kuchler
Johnson & Johnson said it had discovered a potential vaccine candidate and was teaming up with the US government to invest $1 billion (€900 million) in its development, expecting to start testing in humans by September.

Johnson & Johnson said it had discovered a potential vaccine candidate and was teaming up with the US government to invest $1 billion (€900 million) in its development, expecting to start testing in humans by September.

Two US healthcare companies have brought hope in the race to fight coronavirus, with Johnson & Johnson announcing a potential vaccine that could be available early next year and Abbott Laboratories launching a rapid test.

Johnson & Johnson said it had discovered a potential vaccine candidate and was teaming up with the US government to invest $1 billion (€900 million) in its development, expecting to start testing in humans by September. Shares in the world’s largest healthcare company rose 5.8 per cent to $130.17.

Abbott is launching a test that can take as little as five minutes and can be run on a portable machine the size of a toaster. Shares in Abbott jumped 8.7 per cent to $81.07.

US politicians have worried that pharmaceutical companies could profit off the crisis while making vaccines and drugs unaffordable for many. But J&J promised on Monday that the vaccine would be sold on a “not-for-profit” basis during the pandemic.

Responsibility

Alex Gorsky, chairman and chief executive of Johnson & Johnson, said the company feels a “deep responsibility” to improve the health of people around the world, using its scientific expertise, scale and financial strength.

“The world is facing an urgent public health crisis and we are committed to doing our part to make a Covid-19 vaccine available and affordable globally as quickly as possible,” he said.

Troubles with tests have been blamed for a sluggish response to the outbreak in many countries. Abbott’s new diagnostic test for Covid-19 could cut the wait for results down to as little as five minutes for a positive result and 13 minutes for a negative one.

The test runs on the company’s portable platform, which is the most widely available point-of-care molecular testing device in the US. The test will start to be distributed to healthcare providers, such as doctor’s offices, urgent care clinics and emergency departments, this week.

Robert B. Ford, president of Abbott, said the device would help clinicians test “outside of the traditional walls of a hospital in outbreak hotspots”.

Candidate

J&J has been hunting for a vaccine candidate for Covid-19 since January. If the early trials go well, the company said the vaccine could be available by early 2021 to be used under an emergency use authorisation, a fast-track waiver from the US regulator.

As well as the expansion of its partnership with the US Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, known as Barda, on research and development, J&J is investing to rapidly scale its manufacturing capabilities, preparing to produce a billion doses by the end of 2021.

But while J&J has landed on a vaccine candidate far more quickly than usual, it is still behind Boston-based biotech Moderna. Moderna’s candidate was ready more than a month ago and entered human testing in March, six months earlier than J&J plans for its potential vaccine.

The announcements came as three top scientific institutions received new funding to embark on trials to test whether existing drugs hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine can be used to prevent coronavirus infections, in the first investments made by the Covid-19 therapeutics accelerator, funded by the Wellcome Trust, the Gates Foundation and Mastercard. – Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2020

16 minutes ago, Hesi said:

US politicians have worried that pharmaceutical companies could profit off the crisis

No shit Sherlock. They have been keeping us sick for decades, and profiteering from it, why should that change with promises of a "non -profit" basis. 

I await with baited breath. Geeze theirs that cynicism raising its ugly head again.. Out damn spot,   out I say .#&**##

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Another article in the Herald pulled from NY Times where it is free and then charged for

What Sept. 11 Taught Us About Confronting Catastrophe

Easy answer . Your starter for TEN. 

F---k  ALL.    " The only thing we learn from History, is that we learn nothing from history"

• Like 1

“The world is facing an urgent public health crisis and we are committed to doing our part to make a Covid-19 vaccine available and affordable globally as quickly as possible,” he said.

Allow me to translate this PR BS back to truth:

“The world is facing an urgent public health crisis  and we know a profit-making opportunity when we see one. Not only have we snaffled shitloads from the US taxpayers to pay most of our R&D costs (much of which will be applied to vaccines that have nothing to do with Covid-19), our share price will continue to rise throughout this public health crisis. You can expect regular PR BS updates from us on our progress, until we get unfairly gazzumped by a Chinese or European competitor - by which time our institutional investors and key execs will have sold all their stock, so we'll be minted anyway."

• Like 2

The irony of this is, of all papers, the Herald

Dr Jarrod Gilbert: High-quality information has never been more important

1 Apr, 2020 5:00am
 4 minutes to read
News coverage can make crime seem more prevalent than it is. Photo / File
News coverage can make crime seem more prevalent than it is. Photo / File
NZ Herald

By: Dr Jarrod Gilbert

COMMENT:

As we adjust to life in a lockdown there are many unknowns, but one thing has become perfectly clear: the need for high-quality information has never been more important. And this offers us important

To continue reading this article and to support great journalism